A slow cooker can be a lifesaver — after a busy day working, commuting and doing whatever you have to do, putting a healthy dinner on the table can seem impossible. Try this soup recipe — it’s full of good-for-you protein and tasty spices — feel free to be creative with the added vegetables!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total fat: 7g
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 pound)
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 14.5-ounce cans fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, carrots, onions, chili powder, cumin and broth; cover with lid. Cook on low 4 to 5 hours (or on high 2 to 3 hours).
- Use slotted spoon to remove chicken from slow cooker; cool slightly. Coarsely chop chicken; return to soup. Stir.
- Crush chips. Place in soup bowls. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese.