These are great as an opener for a party or a weeknight meal. For extra spice, keep the seeds in the jalapenos and grill, or go without for a sweeter flavor.
Spicy Chicken & Pineapple Skewers
- Serves 8
- 84 calories
- Carbohydrates: 13g sodium: 94 mg
- Total fat: 0g fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce, optional
- 4 ounces thinly sliced, reduced sodium deli ham (about 5 slices)
- 1 pound fresh pineapple chunks
- Jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced and seeded
- 20 mini skewers
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Soak skewers in a shallow pan of water to prevent them from burning while grilling.
- Stir the syrup and hot sauce (if you’d like these extra spicy) in a small bowl. Cut each slice of ham into strips a little wider than each pineapple chunk, about 1 1/2 inches. Wrap each strip around a pine apple chunk, top with a jalapeno slice, and skewer.
- Grill, turning once, about 4 minutes. Lightly brush with the syrup mixture and grill until the honey caramelizes onto the skewers, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to remove from the grill to avoid tearing the ham. Serve immediately.